Our Contact Information:
150 Walt Whitman
Our Mission Statement:
Horace Mann School is a nurturing learning community which offers a challenging academic program, instills character, and fosters life long learning in order to develop the whole child.
John J. Cafagna, PhD
Horace Mann insisted that free, universal public education, paired with well-educated teachers, was the best way to ensure that the nation’s children became upstanding citizens.
Horace Mann’s Six Principles of Education
- Citizens cannot maintain both ignorance and freedom
- This education should be paid for, controlled, and maintained by the public
- This education should be provided in schools that embrace children from varying backgrounds
- This education must be nonsectarian
- This education must be taught using tenets of a free society
- This education must be provided by well-trained, professional teachers.